You couldn’t look at a social media site last week without seeing that horrific picture of a rat just, well, hanging out inside of Joe’s BBQ on Madison and Lamon, right here in Chicago. DNAinfo.com reports that Joe’s BBQ and Fish was also written up on May 18, 2017, after “a city inspection found 65 rat droppings around a cooler and behind containers of barbecue sauce.” Though it passed its May 25th inspection, Joe’s has failed almost a dozen inspections since 2010.
As disturbing as that picture was, though, it should come as no surprise: last October, the pest control company Orkin placed Chicago at the tops of its list of “rattiest cities.”
Needless to say, it’s not our favorite title. It’s also not a title that we are likely to lose any time soon.
Pest control is out of control in Chicago
Rats are not the only problem these days, either. On June 5, 2017, our client visited Fung’s Chop Suey on E. 47th Street and was treated to a deep-fried mouse in his egg fu yung.
Three days later, he ended up at a Chicago ER with food poisoning that led to uncontrollable voiding.
Our investigation into our client’s nightmare found that there were three separate complaints lodged against Fung’s with the City Health Department.
How sick can mice and rats make humans?
Most people are aware that being bitten or scratched by a rodent, like a mouse or a rat, can lead to diseases like rabies. We also know that the most famous disease in human history, the Bubonic Plague, is attributed to fleas that bite infected rats, and then transfer that infection to humans. There are, however, a number of other illness and diseases associated with rats. As per Orkin:
- Allergies associated with rodent dander, droppings and urine
- Typhus, a disease spread by bug bites that is potentially deadly
- Hantavirus, a serious respiratory viral infection that is potentially deadly
- Leptospirosis, a bacterial disease affecting people and their pets, which can lead to kidney or liver failure, respiratory failure, meningitis or death
- Lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCMV), a viral infection spread mostly through house mice, which can lead to birth defects if a pregnant woman is infected
Our client, thankfully, did not develop any of these illnesses. However, food poisoning can also be deadly if left untreated. Excessive nausea, vomiting and diarrhea can leave a person dangerously dehydrated, which takes its toll on the kidneys. A high fever – one over 106 F – can cause permanent brain damage, or lead to seizures.
We understand that pest control is a serious problem for restaurant owners in any city – but a rat sitting on a chair in your place? A whole mouse found cooked in your food? These are simply inexcusable. That is why Gainsberg Law is ready to stand and fight on behalf of our client, to seek justice for him and for any person who was hurt or made ill because of an act of gross negligence.
Neal S. Gainsberg has spent the last 20 years fighting to protect the rights of the injured in Chicago and throughout Illinois. From consumer rights and bankruptcy to catastrophic injuries and wrongful death, Mr. Gainsberg stands up to large corporations, insurance companies, creditors and hospital administrators to ensure that his clients’ futures are safe and secure. Learn More