Experienced Chicago Car Accident Lawyers Advocating for Your Rights

Client-centered representation for car crash victims in the greater Chicagoland area and across Illinois

No one drives with the expectation of being involved in a car accident. Yet thousands of people are injured each year on the roadways of Illinois. When a car accident leaves you or a family member with injuries, Gainsberg Law is here to assist with securing the compensation you deserve. We provide responsive representation for injury victims throughout Illinois, including Cook, Lake, DuPage, Kane, and Will Counties. When an accident threatens your health, your finances, and your ability to work, trust your case to a Chicago car accident lawyer.

Handling a variety of car accident cases

There are many different types of vehicles, accidents, and reasons for accidents. No matter the specifics, our attorneys are prepared to help you. We handle cases involving:

After an accident, you will be feeling overwhelmed about what to do next. It is important to obtain representation from a lawyer with the skills and dedication to fight for you, no matter what type of collision or accident you may have had.

Proving negligence in your car accident case

To successfully pursue compensation for an car accident injury, it is necessary to prove that the other driver acted in a negligent manner. This requires a showing that the vehicle operator failed to perform with a reasonable standard of care. Some examples of negligent driving behaviors include:

  • Speeding or reckless driving. Drivers have a duty to follow posted speed limit laws and drive at speeds that are reasonable for the road conditions.
  • Failing to comply with traffic signals. Traffic lights and signals are posted to control the flow of traffic and promote safety on the roadway. When drivers fail to abide by these signals, serious accidents can result.
  • Driving under the influence. When drivers operate their vehicles under the influence of alcohol or drugs, they place themselves and everyone around them in danger.

An efficient Chicago car accident attorney can help you establish an argument for negligence and, if necessary, present a case for compensation within the Illinois courts.

Questions about Chicago traffic accident reports

How long do you have to report car accident?

If you were involved in a car accident, you must report the accident to the Chicago police department if it resulted in death, an injury or more than $1,500 in property damage. You have ten days to report the traffic crash to the Illinois Department of Transportation. The failure to report a reportable traffic crash in Illinois can be punishable by the suspension of your driver’s license. Putting false information on a traffic crash report is a Class C misdemeanor and punishable by a $500 fine and up to 30 days in jail.

How can you get an accident report online?

Traffic crash reports are available on the Chicago police department website. The Chicago police website has a Driver Information Exchange application where you can look up information about a crash that you were involved in for the purposes of reporting to your insurance company.

How long does it take to generate to police vehicle accident report in Chicago?

For a property damage only accident, the report might take seven to ten days. If there is a serious injury or fatality it may take weeks or longer.

Accidents involving uninsured or underinsured drivers

Illinois laws require drivers to maintain an adequate amount of auto insurance for their own protection, as well as the protection of others on the roadway. However, many drivers fail to comply with this law or carry an inadequate amount of coverage.

What to do when hit by uninsured motorist?

Here are three practical things you can do if you were hit by a motorist who is uninsured and who caused the crash:

  1. You may have to pay the deductible on your Uninsured Motorist Property Damage coverage (if you have this optional coverage in your policy). Your insurance company will pursue the uninsured motorist to recover the damages from the crash and reimburse you for your deductible.
  2. Submit an accident report to the Illinois Department of Transportation accident report office: 3215 Executive Park Drive, Springfield, Illinois 62766; Phone 217-782-4516. Inform the IDOT that the at-fault driver was uninsured and ask that the case be forwarded to the Secretary of State for suspension under the Safety and Financial Responsibility Law, which requires drivers in Illinois to have insurance coverage. The state can suspend that driver’s license until you come to an agreement with the driver about paying for your property damage and injuries from the crash and until they can show that they have met the applicable state requirements.
  3. You can hire a Chicago car accident attorney and file a judgement against the uninsured motorist in court. If, after 30 days, they have not paid the judgement, you can submit a report to the state for suspension of their license.

What to do if you cause a car accident but you had no insurance?

The failure to carry car insurance in Illinois carries up to a $1,000 fine. Your license can be suspended for up to three months and you must pay a $100 fine and provide proof of insurance in order to get your license reinstated. If you cause a crash and do not have car insurance, you can expect that the insurance company for the injured driver will sue you to recover the costs of damages for injuries and property damage.

These cases can be particularly complex and require the assistance of a knowledgeable Chicago car accident lawyer. We are equipped and ready to handle even the most challenging types of auto accidents, including those involving at-fault drivers who lack adequate insurance coverage.


$250,000.00 Settlement in Car Crash Case

A man was struck by a teenage driver while crossing a street in Chicago. He sustained a comminuted and depressed lateral tibial plateau fracture with associated hem arthrosis. He underwent open reduction and internal fixation with an anterior compartment fasciotomy. Case settled for $250,000.00.

Affordable representation from a Chicago-area car accident law firm

Trust the efficient and reliable law practice of Gainsberg Law to provide you with experienced representation in a variety of car accident cases. Whether you or a family member has been injured by the negligent actions of a driver, trust our office to aggressively advocate for the compensation you deserve. Call us today at 312-313-1621 or fill out our contact form to secure our client-centered services. We believe in putting the needs of our clients first and offering high-quality personal injury representation.